I admit I have used PowerPoint presentations before, but this is the first time I have created an interactive one. For that reason, it took me a long time to do it. I know it can be improved, but I have included the elements I learned this week to make the lesson a more learner-centered and interactive experience, even when classes are large ones:
• a question to activate students’ background knowledge at the beginning of the presentation
• a blank slide to make them focus on the topic, think and interact
• a video to illustrate the topic and increase students’ interest
• a quiz to check comprehension and discuss with jumps to other slides based on student responses
• a song to review and reinforce at the end
Thinking of the class blog as a technology-enhanced change for my Cultural Studies course, I will be able to post the PowerPoint presentation so that students can review and check their own notes against the exact slides I used in class, which turns the PPT into an even more useful resource.